Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Binding

The binding in this photo if for a quilt made out of men's shirts and the binding is made from the shirts as well. I first blogged about this quilt here. This has been a difficult quilt to work on (only partially for technical reasons). I am now at the stage of hand-sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. Then the label and I can pass it on.
.
There's an old hymn that runs through my mind from time to time. It was written by John Fawcett (1740 - 1817). Blest Be the Tie That Binds.
.
This song speaks of ties that bind us together in fellowship of kindred minds. It speaks of sharing our burdens with sympathising tears. Though we are apart we are joined in heart and hope to meet again.
.
While this song is about Christian fellowship through Christ our Lord, I draw the comparison to our shared interest in all things quilty and crafty. When I began this blog two years ago, it was a way to pass a bit of time while recovering from major surgery. It has become so much more to me since then.
.
I have met some really nice people (and sometimes not so nice, thankfully very rare), gained amazing knowledge of quilty things, won some amazing prizes, given prizes away, learned more about the world and more about myself. It's been a wonderful ride, one I hope to continue.
.
So to celebrate I will be having a quiet little giveaway for my regular visitors. No jumping through hoops to enter. A comment on any post between 1st October to 31st October is sufficient for entry. Names will go in to a hat. One entry per person (but feel free to comment more often if you have something to say). Up for grabs is a mini quilt (which I have yet to quilt), a Moda pre-cut and maybe some other little things. I will have two winners (for two years blogging of course).Winners will be announced Tuesday, Nov 2 (Melbourne Cup Day - may your favourite horse win/US election day - get out and vote! and may your candidate win).

8 comments:

Barb said...

So you have finished the quilt, what an emotional journey. Can't wait to see if in completion.

Yes, the tie that binds....amazing words today.

SandyN said...

Wow what a great way to recycle clothes... It is also a nice way to remember those in our lives...

I have also enjoy starting my blog too. There are so many talented people in blog land

Sandyn

Blogless me said...

I'd love to see the quilt. I have been hoarding shirts and have even started cutting into them but don't yet have a plan. I love the idea, though, of these shirts starting a new life.

Julia said...

Great to have had you blogging Shari and sharing your work and thoughts with us..
Blogging has helped me get through some difficult times...
Happy blogaversary, and onto the next two years..
Julia ♥

Allie said...

I can't wait to see this quilt! I know what you mean about ties that bind - when I began blogging, it was so I could thank those whose blogs I read. And like you, it became SO much more. I love this community!

Gill said...

The binding is my favourite part!
I've used shirts before but I've never thought of using them for the binding - Thank you
Gill

julieQ said...

That is indeed a wonderful hymn, one of my favorites. Congratulations on your milestone!! Love your shirt binding...great idea.

Val Laird said...

Hi Shari

Yes, the blogging world is just amazing isn't it! I have "met" so many wonderful and generous people in my months in blogland.

Thanks too for your lovely comment on my blog.

Blessings
Val


Mumsyblossom's World