Tuesday, April 14, 2009

But First There's...



12 Men's Shirts

Cotton

Polyester

Silk

Viscose

Weekend Retreat

Project 1

This one requires a little explanation. These shirts belonged to my husband's cousin who died last year of metastatic melanoma (skin cancer that spread). His widow kindly gave me these shirts after I offered to make her a quilt out of them. I have had a lot of trepidation about this project and have procrastinated a little. However, my husband has helped me select a pattern and I have practised cutting up other shirts so feel I am ready to finally begin this project. I hope to make a really good start at the retreat this coming weekend.

I'll be 'out of touch' until Sunday evening so I hope you all have a great few days until we can catch up again.

12 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

It will be a special gift! Enjoy your retreat.

Simone de Klerk said...

Good luck with this special project!

Barb said...

What a nice gesture to do this shirt quilt for her. It will be long remembered, that is for sure.

Eileen said...

Yes. I can see a quilt coming from that. It will be wonderful! And a very nice gift. :-) Keep us posted!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You can do it, I had a dear friend whose Mother passed away and she gave me all her clothes, they were poly-knit! I made nine patches and was able to make four twin size quilts, one for my dear friend, one for her sister and one for each of my friends daughters, they just love them and she will to no matter what pattern you use. Enjoy!

Julia said...

Shari, that's so lovely of you to do that for her..
It will be a special gift for her to keep! Enjoy your retreat...
Hugs Julia ♥

Sheri Howard said...

Shari, there is a wonderful site that is all about using shirts for quilts. It is
www.quiltville.com she does some amazing things!

Cindy said...

I look forward to seeing the outcome of this very special gift. Enjoy the retreat!

em's scrapbag said...

Have fun at your retreat. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the shirts. It will make a great gift.

Lurline said...

First of all - have lots of fun at the retreat! Quilt from the heart - it will be a lovely treasure!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Mel said...

How nice of you to create such a wonderful memory for her!

Hope you have fun, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to make for her. I know it will be a treasure. Hope you have a wonderful retreat.


Mumsyblossom's World