Monday, August 27, 2012

Friendship Block - Heart Tutorial

Recently my sewing group made friendship blocks for a quilt for a sick member. Hearts (floral) was chosen as the theme and we could do what we wanted on a cream background. I decided to do a postage stamp patchwork heart and constructed my fabric using 1.5 inch squares.
I traced my heart shape on to light-weight non-fusible interfacing and placed it on top of the constructed fabric. I then sewed completely around on the line. I trimmed the block to 1/4 inch seam allowance, cut a small slit in the interfacing, and turned the heart right way out. I 'smoothed' the edges with a blunt chopstick.
I then trimmed away the excess interfacing behind the block to reduce bulk.
Here is my completed heart with beautiful smooth edges.
I machine appliquéd the heart to my cream background. I used a blind hem stitch.
We all got our blocks done very quickly and the quilt has since been finished. I hope to be able to get photos of the other blocks and the completed quilt. If and when I do, I will show you. It's a very lovely quilt for a very lovely lady.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

i'm sure your friend will love the quilt..........it's very special........

Anonymous said...

its lovely Shari and thankyou for showing us how to make it.xx

QuiltSue said...

Your block is beautiful.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Simply beautiful and truly a gift from the heart.

Messy Karen said...

beautiful.

Nima said...

shari, thank you for this tut...i have to try

KatieQ said...

Thank you for sharing your method for making this block. It's really beautiful. I'm sure it will be a special part of the quilt.

Barb said...

Oh...that is just awesome, thanks for showing!


Mumsyblossom's World