Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Potholder Progress

I decided to sew the binding to the back of the potholder and then turn it to the front and machine stitch. I've heard of this but have not tried it. I had to keep telling myself that finished is better than perfect.
Here it is all sewn on ready for turning. I pinned it well and did opposite sides.


I sewed close to the edge.
This is how the corner looks from the back.
And the corner from the front.
Here is the finished potholder. One side has a little flaw and it won't sit flat.
While putting on the binding this way makes it a little rough around the edges, it was super quick and this is not an heirloom but meant to be used and thrown in the washing machine with the kitchen towels. I think with a little practice I can neaten up some of the stitching and pin a bit better. I have three other potholders ready for the binding so when time permits I will use this method and see how I go. I used one layer of insulbrite which is meant to be ok, but if you make an oven mitt the package says to also use a layer of cotton batting in addition to the insulbrite. Have any of you used insulbrite before? It's a batting with a layer of mylar in the middle.
.
Edit: Of course I've just checked their website and they recommend a layer of cotton batting for potholders as well. Oh well, a few of mine will only have the insulbrite. Guess I'll be keeping those ones for me... lol.

3 comments:

Allie said...

Gorgeous! I've only done the binding like that once, but I'd like to try again and see if I improve with practice. For something that's going to get that much use, it really seems like the best way.

I love insul-brite - good stuff! I didn't know you were supposed to add a layer of cotton batting too, yikes.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Turned out great. I have also used insul-brite and did add the extra layer, hard to get the binding on as it was thicker!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Handmade does not mean perfect. I got past that years ago. I also love utilitarian--why let it sit in a drawer? I think your potholders are wonderful and fun. I've only done the machine binding once, long ago. I have used insulbrit and have paired it with cotton batting. When I do my potholders, due to the thickness, I layer them, stitch around the edge, and turn them inside out then stitch around the edge again. Sorry this got wordy.


Mumsyblossom's World