Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fall Quilt Festival

.
Amy at Park City Girl is hosting a Fall Quilt Festival. Here is my entry.

This is the first quilt I ever made. The year is 1996. I drafted it out on graph paper then cut template plastic for each shape - even the teeny tiny triangles. I used a clear quilter's quarter to add the seam allowances and cut each piece out with scissors. It is all hand pieced and hand-quilted using the stab-stitch method. I totally didn't know anything about quilting and had not even seen a quilting magazine before. But this was logical to me. Can't remember what type of wadding was used, but definitely not a natural fibre! In fact the fabrics are probably poly-cotton.

This was made for my #2 daughter as a Barbie quilt. She loves it and still keeps it on top of her dresser. She has kindly lent it to me for a photo shoot.


Please visit the Fall Quilt Festival to enter your quilt... there are some fabulous prizes to be won. Better still, there are so many blogs to visit!
Cheers
Shari

11 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

What's a lovely first quilt! Enjoy the festival, I love your bottle brushes header as well - Hugs Natima

Rumi said...

Great job for a first quilt. Aren't you glad rotary cutters were invented!

Zonnah said...

Very cute!

Nima said...

oh...lovely quilt

Barb said...

Love your first quilt!!

Kathy said...

What a sweet little quilt! I like your daughters idea of using it as a mini runner. I'll have to tell my niece to do that with her little doll quilt.

Allie said...

What an incredibly sweet quilt - I don't like purple but it is absolutely darling and I love that you hand-pieced it. My first quilt was handpieced too, and I used cardboard templates! Glad those days are gone, lol.
Thanks for sharing this beauty!

AnnieO said...

That's a well treasured first quilt and its nice that your daughter lent it to you for the Festival :) A lot of work went into that small quilt! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. Love the design, & colors. Just a delightful quilt. Thanks for sharing and thanks for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Marika said...

Very beautiful quilt
.Greeting Marika

Jocelyn said...

What a sweet little quilt. Tell your daughter thanks for sharing the story.


Mumsyblossom's World