Sunday, September 27, 2009

Quilt As You Go Class

It's not all work and bushwalking. Yesterday (Saturday) I went to a quilt-as-you-go class with the lovely and talented Glenda Olesen (no blog that I know of) who is an accredited teacher, judge and quilt valuer with the Western Australian Quilters' Association (WAQA). She showed us several different ways to join quilt blocks or quilt sections.

I chose to try a method using overlaid sashing strips both front and back.

Of course I didn't have anything prepared, so during the week I quickly whipped up some hourglass blocks from a pack of 7inch charm squares and did some simple quilting. It will be a 4x4 table topper. This is as far as I got in the class time. This will not be a UFO! It is rough as anything but will work overall.


After determining the size of my sashing, I trimmed back the blocks, butted the batting together and zig-zagged them together. My blocks are about 6 1/4 unfinished so I chose a one inch sashing.

The back of the quilt is sashed as well, but with a smaller sashing than the front so those seam lines won't show on the front. I put these on by eye and then they didn't match up exactly, but I'm not going to worry about that as it blends in well and won't be 'in your face' unless you look really close.
These fabrics are just yummy. With spring in the air it's all about purple - when the iris's bloom you know it's a good time of year. The light coloured fabric has a hint of shine that I just can't capture in a photo. Pity only one little square of it...



Not much sewing for today. After church I have four pair of pants to hem for my husband and of course all the household chores I didn't do yesterday (sigh). No housework fairy here....
Hope your weekend is full of sunshine and laughter and a little sewing for good luck!
Cheers
Shari

9 comments:

Allie said...

Well good for you!!!! I have a friend that made a whole big quilt using this method, and even though she explained it and showed it to me as she did it, I couldn't wrap my head around it. Your little quilt is turning out quite lovely!

ps - no housework fairy here either - more's the pity. If I catch the little stinker I'll send her on when I'm done with her.

Nima said...

wow...that looks beautiful...

Lurline said...

So pleased you went to Glenda's workshop, shari - the method will come in very useful in time to come!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Shari, What beautiful Spring fabrics - just lovely! If you find the housework fairy, please send her my way!
I have started posting on a new blog: http://mildredsmenagerie.blogspot.com (formerly Nalley Valley)

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've never tried quilt as you go! You sure whipped up a bright and fun project. No housekeeping fairies here either. Darn! I keep waiting for my house to clean itself.

Barb said...

I agree, that is very nice and something I would like to do.

jacquie said...

i've always wanted to give quilt as you go a try....seems like there are so many intricate quilting possibilities with this method. i may have to see if there is a class in this around here. if that housekeeping fairy shows...send her this way.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Some of the ladies in the quilt B I belong to worked on a quilt as you go just this last Thursday. I said I was taking pictures and forgot the camera. I think I need to tie it around my neck. Thanks for sharing.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

Nanette Merrill said...

Hmm you've done a nice job. I've always thought about doing one of these but haven't yet.


Mumsyblossom's World