Thursday, October 7, 2010

Swanleigh Retreat Part 2

For Show and Tell at the Retreat, I took along a lot of the marvelous quilts and other sweet things that I've received through the blogging world. I gave a small talk about my blog and the wonderful world it has opened up for me. Some of the ladies were a bit dubious, but most were very interested. They all adored the little quilts and other special items. Thank you dear blogging friends for so expanding my quilting experience!

So I did actually sew at the Retreat. The first night I played around with some scrap strips and made sweet little four patches. No photos of those right now. That was just for warm up while I shed 'civilian' life and got in to the Retreat mode. The bulk of my time was spent with my curve master foot and these greens and black and whites. I've laid out a few blocks to give you an idea.
These curves were really hard. I followed the directions for the curve master (i.e. lift and separate and gently guide the two fabrics to touch the edge of the foot). This worked really well until the curve changed direction. I'm afraid I wasn't always so gentle and I've ended up with a few puckers and tucks...

but I've decided to embrace them and continue. When I cut new blocks I gentled some of the curves, which did help, but some fabrics played nicer than others. I think I'm going to love this practice quilt... and will persevere with the curve master foot. I think the Drunkard's Path block will be a piece of cake after this...
And of course no Retreat is complete without a little Retail Therapy... I was very restrained though. The bag has a story. One of the ladies was making items to sell at the church fete. When she completed this bag I knew it would be for sale at the fete so I asked her if I could by it. When she said yes, I got the money in to her hand before she could change her mind. Sometimes it's just nice to buy something finished... and this bag is just too gorgeous... a little fabric, a new kind of thread to try and some sweet buttons.
And everyone received a sweet little gift of some sort. I was lucky and got this lovely needle case. I know the lady who made it - thank you Prue! I'm so happy I got one!!

I'm getting a quilt back from the quilter today, and there's a bit of family pressure to get the binding and the label on, so will be a little quiet until it's done. The binding is a scrap binding from fabrics that I will have to stabilise, but hopefully it will go ok as I now have a little more experience. I'll share the whole story after it's finished. And of course, I have a blog anniversary coming up, so will be thinking of a giveaway towards the end of the month... and I'm going with my sister-in-law to a teddy bear making course on Saturday - she's been wanting me to go with her for ages. It speaks to a disfunctional childhood that I'm still amazed that people actually want to spend time with me!
Take care and may God Bless each and every one of you... you have so enriched my life!

9 comments:

SandyN said...

Wow You have received some beautiful items with blogs...

LOVE the quilt....

Sandyn

Barb said...

I really like your green quilt and the gifties...

Simone de Klerk said...

What a wonderful retreat you had! Love those curving blocks. You are doing great.
And I had to laugh about getting that bag (o:
Happy post!

Sheri Howard said...

Looks like you had a great time. Love your "curves!" ~Sheri

Stephanie said...

Loving those curves. With all the curved piecing I did for my NY Beauty quilt I learned batiks don't have as much give so don't always want to play nice and I wasn't using a curve master foot either. Looks like you have a terrific time.

Julia said...

Great post Shari.
I love the green curved quilt..
Blogging has opened up a whole new world for many of us..and it's so nice to have met so many bloggers where friendships have beem made..
Hugss Julia ♥

Allie said...

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to have a blog, lol - it has so enriched my life, I love having friends around the world! Maybe you made some converts.
I love, love, love that curvy quilt. Oh my gosh. That is just fabulous! The colors are so striking, Shari. I'll have to try it - I did ok with the Drunkard's Path, so maybe I could do it. We'll see! You've encouraged me!
That's a great bag you got, I think I'd rather buy one than make one anymore, lol. Darling needlecase too!!!
A teddy bear making class - that sounds very intriguing! I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it, and of course all about the quilt too!
ps - I can so relate to your comment about a dysfunctional childhood -

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What fun show and tell items! and your green quilt!!! I love it so much. Curves, Yikes, but yours look great!
I just love the needle case it is sooo cute!!
I think you did a good job with you shopping, I would have grabbed that great bag too!

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

Your mini quilt gifts are adorable.

I love your green and black blocks. They remind me of the green weeds/grass growing along river banks or ponds. Beautiful. You can work out the wonkiness when you quilt it.

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World