Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Kettle


Thought I'd better show you the new kettle.

What a luxurious little convenience I so take for granted.
.
Added: The tea cosy was made by my mother-in-law and the flowers on the top of it were made by my sister-in-law. The colours are lovely and earthy. A cosy makes all the difference in keeping the tea hot while it brews. I seldom use loose-leaf tea though. I buy the Dilmah brand pot bags. We've got it sorted out for a perfect cup of tea (how we like it). I have my tea black (but not weak) while my husband puts in milk and sugar. If I have to use a teabag in a cup it certainly can't brew too long because that gets too bitter while we can leave the tea in the pot for 10 to 15 minutes. Nothing beats a good cup of tea, except of course a good cup of coffee.
PS Here is the recipe I mentioned in my last post.
.
Baked Chicken & Sweet Potato with Chickpeas

Serves 4

2 red onions, halved, cut into thick wedges
600g sweet potato (kumara) peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
4 tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tbs olive oil
8 (about 620g) chicken thigh fillets
240g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley

Preheat oven to 220°C. Combine onion, sweet potato, tomato, garlic and half the oil in a bowl. Toss to coat. Transfer to a large baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frypan. Season chicken to taste. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden.
Add chicken to tray with vegetables and bake for another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add chickpeas in the last few minutes until heated through then toss through parsley and serve.

I had a little pumpkin so added that in as well. We reckon we could add carrot or capsicum as well, or potato. It tasted really nice. Be careful with that tossing business at the end, as the tomato is really soft by now and the onion wedges will come apart. Next time I might skewer them. We made this with chicken breast fillets as the shop didn’t have any thigh fillets.

This recipe was published in the newspaper.

5 comments:

Sheri Howard said...

I am not a coffee drinker myself, but I have a dear friend who is and I know how crazy she gets when the kettle is broken! Hope your new one does the trick!

Sue said...

Nothing like a state of the art kettle to help deliver the caffeine fix

Barb said...

Love your new kettle.....so I guess Hubby finally said it was broke?

Julia said...

Very nice kettle Shari..
Thanks for the recipe sounds so yum...will try it soon.
Julia ♥

Helen said...

Shari!!! We have the exact same kettle!! How is that?! LOL I have your parcel here too, ready to send a long last, sorry it has taken me so long. x

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World