Saturday, May 29, 2010

QuiltWest Quilts

My photos are pretty ordinary and I'm really not interested in another expensive hobby. My biggest worry is getting things in focus and trying to determine if I need to use a flash. With quilts at an exhibition, the interior lighting is usually shocking and it washes out the colour. So a flash will bring out the colour and might wash it out a little too much. However, a flash takes out the shadows that highlights the quilting. Here are three examples.
Quilt Number 161: "Friendship Nine Patch Chain" owned by Shelagh Fitzpatrick. A group quilt for Shlagh's 60th birthday. (with flash)
(without flash)
Quilt Number 93: "Pacific Postcards" by Jan Rowe. (with flash)(without flash)
Quilt Number 60: "Coxcomb and Currents Revisited" by Sheila Pye. (with flash)
(without flash)
Some of the photos in the coming posts will be with flash and some without. Of course it's simply not possible to show every quilt - I certainly couldn't photograph them all. However, it will give an overview of the flavour of the show.

7 comments:

Lurline said...

Lovely to be able to check out your Post, Shari - I've been having lots of camera experiences lately - we must compare notes sometime soon!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Stephanie said...

I'm really glad you showed the photos both ways because you can really see the quilting w/o flash.

julieQ said...

Thank you for sharing...I love the without flash, so you can see all that gorgeous quilting! Hope you have a great weekend!

Allie said...

Wow what a difference! Those quilts are just plain gorgeous. I'm really amazed at the difference in the photos. The quilting on each is just stunning!

Barb said...

I just love the quilts....

Maree: said...

Such a Big Difference with/without Flash...Gorgeous Quilting on some of them...
cheers

Simone de Klerk said...

What a difference 'no flash' makes!

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World