Sunday, October 25, 2009

Busy Weekend

On Friday I left work early to attend an afternoon wedding. It was lovely with the usual beautiful, radiant bride, nervous groom, gorgeous little girls in twirly dresses and handsome young boys in little suits. The couple had some candy specially made as gifts for their guests:

I have it on good authority that they turn your tongue blue.
I haven't tried one yet...
On Saturday I attended a workshop run by the Western Australian Quilters' Association. Our teacher Judy Campbell discussed borders. This is one of the exercises - to pull an element of the body of the quilt and incorporate it into a border design...
It was a really fun and informative day. No more details though, as it is proprietary information. There are heaps of books and articles out there on borders though so please go have a look and stretch your imagination! No more whacked-on plain borders!

Today we have church in the morning and then this afternoon we are going ten-pin bowling with Mr Fixit's work - in celebration of their anniversary for 20 years in business. Then we pop next door to this Italian restaurant for dinner...

So no time for sewing this weekend, although I did manage to get in some cutting... Sorry - no sneak peaks!

8 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

Sounds like a fun class. I love pieced borders.

Rumi said...

Great class. I often neglect my borders but I shouldn't because there is so much potential there.

So, did your tongue turn blue?

Allie said...

That candy looks good! Sent my sweet tooth into overdrive just to look at it, lol. Sounds like a good class - although by the time I get to the borders, I just want the quilt DONE, lol.
Sounds like a busy weekend - enjoy!

Simone de Klerk said...

I've never seen candies made like that!
Love the border patterns. Maybe I should try it once, always making mine very plain.
Have fun with bowling. You had a wonderful weekend!

Stephanie said...

I sometimes neglect the borders...by time I get to the borders I just really want the quilt done! Patience pays off when a quilt ends with a gorgeous border.

Mel said...

Sounds like you have a nice day planned!
Enjoy!!

Barb said...

that sounds like an awesome class, a wealth of information.

Eileen said...

LOVE your drawings of borders. What a good thing to do while sitting and waiting somewhere.

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World