Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Well QuiltWest is over for another year. Only the paperwork now. I've had a busy week at work and finally feel a little more normal (if that's possible - LOL).

The Committee were allowed rostered time off but I elected to take mine as workshops and classes. This is the first time I've actually done any. I really like it! So here is what I did.

This is Lisa Walton (link to blog) of Dyed & Gone to Heaven (link to shop). Lisa is an internationally awarded textile artist. I was very pleased to meet her. I sat in on her seminar about her Aurora quilt.This is the Aurora quilt:
I decided to purchase a kit in the green/blue colourway. I have in mind to put it on my lovely fossil beige suede wall in my bedroom. See how complete the kit is! Even thread is included. And Lisa dyes all her own fabric to achieve the look she wants. The instructional dvd came with a magazine some months back so it will be very achievable for me to try this very new-to-me technique.
I also attended a trunk show with this lovely lady from Texas, Sandra Chandler. Sandra invented the Curve Master presser foot. It allows you to sew curves without pinning! I've seen it in action and it is so true! Here Sandra is demonstrating with Drunkard's Path blocks. I am just so impressed. This little baby along with the acrylic templates for the Drunkard's Path are being added to my sewing room. I can hardly wait to try it myself. And Sandra is just the nicest lady! In Australia you can get the Curve Master and Sandra's templates from Punch with Judy.
I decided it's about time I learned a few basic embroidery stitches. A workshop with Nikki Tervo to make a little pincushion was the answer. Nikki is just a hoot as a teacher. She has such a unique and creative way to help us remember how to form the stitches - and how to handle threads (you let them have their own way - just like your husbands - LOL). Nikki told us to relax and have fun with it and to share our knowledge with as many people as possible. Nikki makes the most incredible hand-made buttons. You really need to see for yourselves. So here is my little project so far. There is a solid red thread and a varigated red as well, and a button for the middle (of course).
Are you still with me? Didn't realise this would be such a long post. Should have spread it out, I guess. Never mind. Seize the Day!

I also took a silk ribbon embroidery class with Helen Dafter. She's a very nice lady and very good at instruction as well. This builds up quick and I'm not sure I'll remember everything. And it is still not finished. Fortunately my lovely friend Julia is a master embroiderer and she's available for all the advice and instruction I need.
As this is my first "home" day in about 3 weeks I've got heaps to do. Did you know a post like this takes me more than an hour? Amazing. And it seems to go way too quickly. I think my computer generates a time vortex...
Cheers!
Shari

16 comments:

Allie said...

Wow, it looks like you had an amazing time! Love the look of the quilt kit. You'll love the Curve Master foot - I got mine a few years back at a Sewing Expo, Sandra was so good, demo'ing for everyone that bought one and making sure everyone knew how to use it. Can't wait to see your pincushion done, it looks darling!

Sheri Howard said...

WOW is right...I wish I had been there! It is so amazing to me how many creative and talented people there are all over the world....we all are creative!!! Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

What a fun post! I can't wait to watch you put the beautiful dyed project together!

I'm going to check out the links you listed, you've got me interested in a couple of the artists, especially the embroidery!

Hey, where's your mug??

Julia said...

The dyed project looks very interesting Shari...love to see it when you have it completed...
You be SREing to your hearts content in no time!...It's about time I got back to it and did some more!..
Julia ♥

Robyn said...

Hi Shari...thanks for taking the time...a very interesting read and an interesting 3 weeks for you.
A job well done and some beautiful projects in the making here.
hugs
Robyn xx

Helen said...

Yes, blogging does take ages doesn't it, but what a lovely post from you! You make me wish I had taken the time to go do some workshops while there. Love Lisa's Dyed and Gone to Heaven work, just stunning colours. Look foward to seeing your finished Aurora!

Stephanie said...

Looks like you attended some terrific classes! I've seen that curve master foot on another blog. I love drunkard's path but avoid it due to the pinning. Now I'll have to rethink that! Thanks for sharing your wonderful goodies. Looks like your "to do" list just got a bit longer.

Rumi said...

You must have had so much fun at those workshops. Looking forward to seeing your completed quilt and pincushion.

Jackie said...

Wow, you certainly took full advantage of Quilt West. I love the fact that you took a variety of different technique classes. They are all very lovely and unique. I have to say I really like the Aurora Quilt. Beautiful!

Lurline said...

Wow, a steep learning curve - great to see you take in playtime with all your hard work!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Simone de Klerk said...

Wow, Shari, you have been incredibly busy! So many nice and amazing things you have done and seen! I look forward to the projects you will be making with all those new experiences!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I'm not great at hand embroidery but I do know enough to appreciate it. Lovely stuff. I am going to get some cosmo thread (pamkittymorning blog post) and try some machine embroidery with it. Fun!

Maree said...

Good on You for taking classes etc..that's what I ususally like to do too...seems to be all the more worth the Trip...Great things you have learnt...Looked like a Great Show...
cheers

Lisa Walton said...

Thanks for your lovely words (and pictures) Shari. I look forward to seeing your finished Aurora Quilt too.
I have just been painting lots more fabric for more kits for the Sydney Show next week. Amazing how popular Aurora is! Good thing it is fun to psint snd that the rain has stopped.

Micki said...

I have the curvemaster, and I love it! I just found your blog, and throroughly enjoyed it.
Micki

Eileen said...

Only an hour? :-) Sometimes it takes me all day to write a post. I don't see how people can mamage to blog every day! I'd never get out of this chair.
Your photos from the exhibition were great. Fun to see. And you are doing LOVELY embroidery. Wow.. even with ribbon.. I love those flowers! Lavender?

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World