Saturday, May 16, 2009

Best of Show


"Journey Down the Garden Path" by Sheila Pye
168cm x 168cm
"A quilt with a mind of its own. Many great challenges and new learning experiences such as hand embroidery were presented as I made this quilt. Original design."

Let me share a little story about this year's best of show quilt. I'm sure the maker, Sheila Pye (no blog) would not mind too much. Sheila began this quilt a couple of years ago with the view to hang it on her lounge room wall. She'd completed one of the beautifully appliqued borders and was giving it a final press when this happened:

It's really quite baffling. The fabric had been washed and pressed. The applique was completed. The iron did not malfunction. But this scorch/burn occurred. After a little meltdown and a glass of wine, Sheila unpicked all the applique, salvaged what she could, and made a new border. She went on to complete the quilt with beautiful applique and incredible domestic machine quilting (for which she also won awards). She was overcome with tears when she'd learned she'd won. It was only made for her lounge room wall after all ...

So what do you do when something goes terribly wrong? Do you give up, start something new and different, set it aside for another day (that may never come)? Or do you persevere until the end. I've not yet had a disaster of this proportion so have not yet been tested. I don't think I'm made of the strong stuff - I'm still happily making quilts as blankets...

14 comments:

Jackie said...

Good for her! It is truly a beautiful quilt. Does she have it hanging in her home yet?

Lurline said...

Thanks for the background story, Shari - I had heard murmurs about some scorching?, but didn't realize it was actual burning on the Best of Show Quilt - kind of lovely story about one's determination not to give up - our Sheila, she's one of the best! By the way - your pic on my blog has brought joy to quite a few people - you are one of the best, too!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Stephanie said...

Stunning. I can see why it won awards. Oh dear, I'm afraid I'd cry and throw it out the window if I discovered a burn.

em's scrapbag said...

My thriteen year old was quite a handfull when he was two. He cut a hole in a quilt I had on my bed. Let's just say applique can cover a multitude of sins.

Rumi said...

Oh my, I think I would have been devastated! Kudos to her for not giving up. It is a beautiful quilt and deserved best of show!

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful quilt......what a story........

Julia said...

Oh my gosh Shari!...
What an amazing story...I'm so happy for Sheila, she is such a lovely person...and the quilt is so beautiful...
This makes the quilt that much more special..
Hugs Julia ♥

Helen said...

What an amazing story. It was a great show. Well done on all the behind the scenes work too. :)

Simone de Klerk said...

Such an unbelievably pretty quilt! I don't think I would have the patience for a technique like that... But I guess a good technique to hide something.

Kellie said...

An amazing story!!!! Beautiful quilt!!!!

Melanie said...

What a wonderful achievement! I wonder if somehow some washing powder got trapped just in that place instead of rinsing out? I am so pleased she re-started, the quilt is beautiful.

When I mess up, I try and think round the problem. If something has to be something different then I try to work with it. In the heat of the moment when I mess up badly, I have to walk away calm down then re-think.

nannergirl said...

What an inspiring story Shari. Maybe I should dig out a few of my blunders and make something with them. Mind you, I don't think anything I've got could turn out like that show winner!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Wow, impressive and a good story!

Sheri Howard said...

That truly is a beautiful piece of art work....any one would just about kill to have that! Thanks for sharing....p.s. a knitted dish cloth is just like a regular dish cloth except it has a loose weave. They are SOOOO nice. Send me your address and I will send you one!

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World