Thursday, December 11, 2008

Intangible Threads


I just signed up for a Pay It Forward exchange from Jane.

Here are the Pay It Forward Exchange “rules”.

  • The first three people will be chosen to participate if they leave a comment on this post asking to join the Pay It Forward Exchange.

  • They are agreeing to post a similar announcement on their blog, and Pay It Forward to three more people, who will in turn agree to Pay It Forward etc.
So what does it mean?

  • Jane is going to send me and her other participants one handmade item sometime in the next 12 months.
  • I, in turn, will send one handmade item to each of the three participants who signed up with me, within the next 12 months.

  • You, in turn, will send one handmade item to each of your participants, and so on.
I signed up because I thought it would be neat to get something from Jane (it will probably be pink!). You will probably have to be more daring as there is not a lot on my blog to indicate my talent (most of my quilting record is not digital). However, to give a clue, I am experimenting with black and white fabrics (and participating in the Black and White Quilt Challenge Project) and also the Teeny Tiny Squares Quilt Swap. I like scrap quilting although I also like traditional blocks. The only applique I do is with vliesofix and button hole stitch, although I hope to learn to do needle turn. I'm also going to learn to use my curve master foot for curved piecing. And bags, I want to make some bags. Better stop there as I'm sounding a little desperate.

I think it is so interesting the way quilters send stuff to each other. My husband sometimes thinks we are a little crazy to spend so much time on something just to give it away to someone who could make their own. But...

we are swapping more than items of fabric and thread, we are swapping the intangible threads that tie us together - the unity of a common philosophy that governs our lives as women who treasure family, friends, creativity - who look at life with love and hope - who want great things for the future for our children and grandchildren.

I think it is worth the effort to strengthen those intangible threads.

Merry Christmas, Holy Christmas

Shari

5 comments:

Terri S said...

Oh, sign me up please!! I read about a Pay It Forward swap a few months ago and thought it was such a great idea!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I am looking forward to making you something, I already have an idea, thanks for playing!!

Lurline's Place said...

Hi Shari,
I commented this morning ... must be lost?
Hugs - Lurline!

Messy Karen said...

i'm asking. i'm asking. i'm asking to join your Pay It Forward Exchange. am i number three?

Lurline's Place said...

Please give my spot to Messy Karen - so nice for you to spread your wings in Blogland!
Big hugs - Lurline!

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World