Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Flowers in My Header

The flowers in my header are from an Australian native bottle brush tree. I don't know the botanical name but they are grown everywhere in the Perth area. This particular one is called King's Park Special. Other varieties have different coloured flowers, although I've only seen pink. Sadly, this tree had to come out of the front yard to make way for a driveway my husband was just so sure we had to have. Once the work is done I'm thinking of planting the pink variety.

Thank you all for your kind words and well-wishes. My recovery (from a hysterectomy) has been 'textbook' mostly with no complications. I've been spending a lot of time on the computer, watching tv, resting, playing with my fabric and maybe today a little sewing. I'm not sick of my own company just yet, as I am just enjoying the peaceful quiet of being home alone. I do miss my dear quilty friends though. They are just so much fun to be with. We have a very flexible group. When we are at the Association (guild) we are called Creative Threads. When we get together at someone's house we are Girlfriends and when we go on retreats we are Tipsy Tarts. Ahh the many faces of Eve. Lurline and Julia are the best at sharing the exploits, especially lately as I have been missing from all the fun stuff. Today they are all off knitting socks at Gwen's house (no blog). Their talent can be a bit intimidating sometimes...

Now I must find a photo as a post just isn't the same without one... this is the wind farm at Albany in Western Australia. We spent New Year's there (in Albany, not at the wind farm) this year. We are going again the first week in January before I have to go back to work (sigh). It catches the wind off the Southern Ocean and generates heaps of electricity.


Merry Christmas!!

Shari

6 comments:

SueR said...

Hi Shari, we were 7 degrees here in Maine this morning, so I keep forgetting it is summer in Oz. You have such exotic plants there. I've got behind with my blog reading and didn't know about your hospital stay. So sorry to hear about it, but happy you're healing okay. You'll be back at it in no time. Can't understand why some folks think the wind farms, I think they look cool. Wish I could have one in my yard, and wish the US would get onboard with it. Cheers, SueR

SueR said...

I meant to say, can't understand why some folks think the wind farms spoil the landscape, I think they look cool.

Mildred said...

Shari, glad you are doing well. I know you enjoy your quilty friends and will be glad to join them again. I especially love seeing your photo today. Blessings for a speedy recovery.

Robyn said...

Hi again Shari!
I love the bottle brush in your header...they're so pretty. We have a Kings Park special in our back yard. Aren't they called 'Calistamen Something or other?'
Thanks for commenting on the denim bag and yes I remember the 70s....lol

Terri S said...

I was "touring" Western Australia on Google Earth the other day and I saw those wind farms!! They look neat!!

impossibleblot said...

Yay for Albany! You should take the video camera this time too.

Love, Jess

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World