Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bird Quilt

No sewing yesterday as my darling daughter has bad tonsillitis and it involved a locum in the middle of the night, trips to the chemist, phone calls to Health Direct and eventually a trip to the hospital for IV fluids and medication. 5pm Monday to 5pm Tuesday was not a happy time. Her symptoms are now under control but it will be a few days before the antibiotics kick in so she's got anaesthic lozenges and sprays and strong pain relief so she can swallow. She's managed to eat a little but just needs to push fluids. I'll ring Health Direct today to see how contagious she is going to be because tomorrow is Christmas and there are lots of oldies and babies etc. She says she wouldn't mind staying home but that's way not acceptable to me. Oh, and the chain on the garage door snapped last night so Max (I refuse to call him Mr Mumsyblossom - totally doesn't fit! He's definitely a Mr Fixit) did a 10pm repair, and as it often works out, he happened to have the part needed to fix it. So there's my chaotic start to Christmas week. Hope your families are having a better time of it!


So I will show you one of my old quilts. This 'bird' quilt has a variety of embroidered birds offset with plain blue blocks. It is of the type that newspapers used to publish in the first half of the 20th century. This quilt was passed on to me from my mother's estate and the provenance is unknown. It is registered with the National Quilt Register.

I have pulled the quilt out for a few detailed shots.














owl



.
.



penguin










woodpecker






quilting

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hope you all have a really wonderful Christmas filled with fun and laughter and joy. If your family is not quite that smooth, then at least Christmas is only once a year! What can you do, they're family...
*Hugs*
Shari

9 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my gosh the poor thing and during christmas, at least she is on medication and will be getting better. try to enjoy the holiday.

Stephanie said...

So sorry your daughter is feeling funky. Good wishes coming your way for her fast recovery and the happiest holidays ever. What a treasure your quilt is. Thanks for sharing.

Lurline's Place said...

Not a good start! Hope everything settles today so you can all have a lovely Christmas!
Hugs - Lurline!

Mel said...

OH Shari!! I feel so bad for you!! I hope your little one gets better soon!!

Love your quilt!

Julia said...

Hope everything settles Shari..
Hugs Julia ♥

Cinlyn said...

Hope daughter is feeling better soon!
Enjoy that 80* weather!! I do like a white Christmas...and we've sort of got it..of course it's just Christmas Eve here...we got a little winter mix in the wee hours this morning. Hope it clears before having to get out later this afternoon!
I agree w/Stephanie...that quilt is a treasure! I've got a couple old ones I'll have to share one day on my blog!
Merry Christmas!!

belinda said...

Oh....i'm so sad for her feeling bad during christmas....hope she has a speedy recovery. What a treasure you have in this cute little quilt. Wonderful to see..thanks for sharing it with us!

Messy Karen said...

i do hope that everyone was able to enjoy the day and that your daughter is feeling better. what a great quilt and that you know where the pattern comes from.

Eileen said...

I hope you daughter is feeling better.
Love your antique quilt. These are the best kind.. and it is wonderful that you have it! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World