Monday, November 3, 2008

Pink Blocks

The weekend always disappears so fast! Starting work at lunchtime on Monday though is great. For many years I did the morning shift and when a change in staff meant I had to do the afternoon/evening shift I was not too happy. But it has certainly worked out! I can get a lot done before work including those annoying errands that need to be done during "office" hours.

I work as a medical receptionist in a small, family-run general practice. We have three doctors on staff with generally two on at a time. Our patient base consists largely of migrants and low socio-economic clients. One of our doctors is also an ob/gyn although he no longer delivers babies. He still does public list surgery once a fortnight. The doctors are also migrants (Chinese, Vietnamese and Sri Lankan). I find it busy, challenging, exciting and very rewarding. I have been there for 14 years now and generally have a good relationship with the patients, although they all hate me when I can't fit them in immediately or if they have to wait. I suspect that is the same everywhere.

Not much progress on the border this weekend so I will talk about something else.

In Australia October is breast cancer awareness month and their theme colour is pink. My sewing group was the hostess group for the state guild meeting (West Australian Quilters' Association) so we did a "pink" theme. Our group had made a charity quilt and we obtained permission to raffle it with the proceeds going to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. We raised $562. Also as one of the activities our dear friend Teena donated some pink fabric for people to make a 12" block for charity quilts. The idea was that people would combine Teena's fabrics with their own pinks for a planned scrappy look. Teena gave the fabric out in September with the blocks to be returned at the October meeting. This was no mean feat as Teena made up forty packs with about a metre in each pack consisting of FQ's and F8's. The ladies responded beautifully with 86 blocks returned on the day and more on the way. We are going to have a sewing day in January to put them all together. Here is some of the fabric and a couple of blocks that were dropped in to me after the sewing day (Teena has the rest.)
Cheers
Shari

2 comments:

Lurline's Place said...

Wasn't it such a fun day, Shari! Lovely neat backyard and the grass should really grow this week with the expected rain. Your border should look great!
Hugs - Lurline!

Mel said...

Darling pink blocks!

Maukie - the virtual cat

Mumsyblossom's World